Earth Day 2021

Earth Day 2021

Sofia Matos, Writer

This year, Earth Day was on April 22nd.  This marks the 51st anniversary of this holiday’s celebration.  This year because of the coronavirus, Earth Day looks a little bit different than it usually would around this time of year.   The history of how Earth Day was started and its celebrations will be revealed in this article.

Every year on the 22nd of April we celebrate Earth Day.  The first Earth Day was celebrated on April 22nd, 1970.  This holiday was formed because of an oil spill that occurred.  This was a way to force keeping our Earth clean into our National Agenda along with making the people of the country happy.  On the very first Earth Day around 20 million people in America participated in the very first Earth Day. That number has since grown to 1 billion people around the world.  The first Earth Day was used to target college students and now that range has grown to anyone and everyone.. 

Every year, Earth Day will have a different theme. The theme for 2021 was climate change.

This theme was chosen because climate change has become one of the biggest issues that we have to face as a human race.  Now as this is the theme people, can pay even more attention to this issue and educate more people spreading awareness on the issue..  

Usually on Earth Day there will be very big gatherings of people cleaning up around their community and marching to spread awareness.  This year because of the coronavirus obviously, some of that had to be cancelled.  One thing that some people could do is sign up for online programs where they learn about something to help the Earth.  Another thing that people did was donate to organizations that help the Earth on Earth Day.  Some people because of light Covid restrictions could even go places and pick up trash around their area.

To reiterate, the first Earth Day was on April 22nd in 1970 and started in America. It has since spread to the rest of the world.  This year the theme for Earth Day was climate change because it is an impending crisis we are facing.   Also, because of Covid, some plans for Earth Day changed this year, but still are important for all of us to support them and learn from them.  We only have one planet Earth! I hope that you learned some new information about Earth Day and enjoyed reading this article.